Sunday, February 28, 2010

Carnival in Sitges: February 16, 2010

Before I even arrived in Barcelona, I was told by several friends and cousins that Carnival in Sitges was incredible. There was outrageous costumes, music, and most of all, dancing. The party begins on Thursday before Lent and ends by Ash Wednesday, when an effigy of Carnestoltes goes up in flames and people celebrate the mock burial of the sardine. The busiest days are Sunday and Tuesday, when the local carnival parade makes its way down the Rua del Extermini in decorated carriages, wearing the craziest razzle-dazzle type outfits you have ever seen. When I was there Tuesday, which is the final day of carnival, there were some interesting drag shows. Just when you think you have seen it all...you haven't.

After about 45 minutes of traveling to Sitges by bus I was finally there. Right when I stepped off the bus I knew this was going to be an experience I have never had before. I walked down several tiny streets until we could hear the music louder and louder, knowing that I was getting closer and closer to the party. Finally, I found the beginning of the parade. I have never seen anything like it before. People were dressed in some of the most ridiculous costumes I have ever seen. I imagined it would be like Halloween in the United States, but these costumes did not even compare. Not knowing what to expect and where to go, we found ourselves in the middle of the parade. Dancing down the streets with hundreds of thousands of people was amazing. It was a non-stop party.

Carnival is a prime example that explains the Spanish culture and why it is so important to everyone here. Catalans take great pride in their culture. In this case, everyone comes together in the center of the city to celebrate before lent occurs. Carnival is about tradition. I found that Catalans are very accepting of others. They are open to anyone and everyone who wants to be a part of this unique experience. Everyone is united from all over the world and comes together to celebrate for the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment